Saturday, January 19, 2008

Property Tax Reform?

I am surprised that this has not been addressed on the blog yet so I thought I would start with my two cents. As a homeowner since 1999, I fall in the class of people that stands to benefit the most. I will get an extra 25k exemption and I can move and take the value of my SOH with me. It sounds like a win-win, but is it? I think it is not.

This state needs real tax reform not a last second take it or leave it attempt by the Senate. Remember they passed the bill and then left town before the House could pass an amended version. While I may get an extra couple hundred in my pocket, it will go right back out in payments for goods and services. Businesses have to pass the costs on to someone while their rents and taxes are going through the roof. Even worse is that the local governments can raise rates to offset any losses. I'm not sure I trust them to live within a smaller budget even though there are plenty of places to the trim the fat.

So, here I am, the alleged liberal of the group seemingly falling into a more conservative viewpoint. I want less taxes, fairly distributed to all and fiscal responsibility by our state and local representatives. They need to invest the time and effort in the next session to get this right. They can start by removing some of the ridiculous tax breaks to special interests that are on the books. I've seen some startling numbers on those, but I will not post them all here.

By the way, I am not siding with the unions on this one. I think they are flat wrong by suggesting that a yes to this amendment will result in cuts to education, fire, and police budgets. I submit to you that the budgets for those departments will not be affected. So what are your thoughts?

Fractal

2 Comments:

At 9:41 PM , Blogger Ty Webb said...

the Webb family voted yes on Amendment one! while we don't think its a great or even a very good solution .... it does cut taxes and while it might not 'starve the beast' completely it will at least make it go on a diet.

Frankly, if it does not pass ... will we have a better option in the coming years? I am not confident in that at all

 
At 12:53 PM , Blogger Fractal Dimension said...

Now that the amendment has passed, I wanted to quickly revisit the issue. While I agree your position that there will not be a better option, I still disagree with the notion that the amendment will lower taxes. Local districts are already beginning to stir the pot on how far to take the millage rate. Couple this with the lawsuits that are being filed and I suspect that few will see the tax cut in this. Until local governments learn to live within their means, our tax situation will not improve.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home