Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Bush = Conservative "Imposter"

Below is a link to an NPR piece on a new book by conservative economist, Bruce Bartlett, on why he believes Bush is a conservative imposter. The audio itself lasts for quite awhile, but you can get a good flavor of the book by simply reading the excerpt included in the link. I think it's very interesting. I have never considered myself a Reagan conservative, but after listening to this guy's specific problems with Bush, many of them correspond exactly with my doubts as well. I think this guy makes a lot of sense, and I think that ultimately, true conservative causes will suffer from association to the imposter.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5227215

1 Comments:

At 10:44 AM , Blogger The Iconoclast said...

I am a traditional small government Reaganite and I also think Bartlett makes alot of sense. This guy hits it on the nose about Bush right from his introduction:

I write as a Reaganite, by which I mean someone who believes in the historical conservative philosophy of small government, federalism, free trade, and the Constitution as originally understood by the Founding Fathers. On that basis, Bush is clearly not a Reaganite or even a “small c” conservative. Philosophically, he has more in common with liberals, who see no limits on state power as long as it is used to advance what they think is right. In the same way, Bush has used government to pursue a “conservative” agenda as he sees it. But that is something that runs totally contrary to the restraints and limits to power inherent in the very nature of traditional conservatism.

Strong sutff, but hard to refute in light of the Bush policy record after five years........

-Ico

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home